Thursday, January 21, 2010

He's a Litterbug, but it Works for Him

Wallace Stevens is praised as one of the 'Big 4' Modernist poets. He is known for his huge vocabulary and "the supreme fusion of creative imagination and objective reality."
But so what.  The poem has to be worth it to you.
Many times I think his voice is that of a man in a suit with a strong baritone, telling everybody what to think. A guy who makes fearful waiters run whining to the cook. However, I do like this poem very much:

from Anecdote of the Jar

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around; no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion everywhere.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.

.
.
A lot of sculpture defines space with its differentness to what surrounds it. And a lot of litter is like this too, distracting from the more beautiful panorama. It depends on what we see and how we see it.

I hope he cleaned up after himself.

6 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
You wanna see LITTER?
Drive through MY neighborhood...on ANY day.
The "locals" around here are some of THE most wasteful specimens of a ghetto mentality that there could ever be.
No regard of seeing anything close to beautiful for them...
It's about a skewed sense of priorities, and THAT detracts from everything...everywhere.

Not a year goes by that I don't remove over 60 "items" from JUST my lawn...(half of them alcoholic in nature tossed from moving vehicles).
Disgusting behavior...from disgusting people.
And it sure as hell ain't "art".

'Nuff said.

RD said...

Oh, I have not read that poem in years. I feel better for it.

Thanks,
RD

Gia's Spot said...

Ann T, off post comment, got yours on my blog. I read the Houstongirl reply. Have you perused her blog? Ho Ho sounds accurate! Sometimes while reading it I get the impression she is making some up, like her ghetto Ebonics are just a bit off!! Also her pictures, their backgrounds do not look like she is in a poorer neighborhood. But this is just my OpEd !! Whatever she is she is well read! Check out the blogs she reads!
Have a wonderful day!
Gia

Mrs. Bunker said...

Thank you for the poems. I've never really paid attention to poetry but your presentation & commentary is much appreciated.

Ann T. said...

Gia,
I think that woman is crazy mad ayeeyah! But I'll do as you suggest.

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear RD, thank you right back. That's kind of how I felt; oh, yeah, remember this? And then, I relaxed.

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
You know, the way they teach poetry in school takes all the pleasure out of it. At least that's what I remember. You are very kind to take the risk and look it over again.

I hope to keep on picking the ones that will beguile you and ease your day.

Many thanks to you both,

Ann T.