Saturday, January 30, 2010

Yes, Sir, I Got The Picture

I read Second City Cop daily.  I go where he tells me to go, and I mostly keep my mouth shut if I disagree. If I was in Chicago, and he did my traffic stop, I'd do what he told me to do then, too.

Thursday night, he posted a link to a site about Illinois' bankruptcy. I am not in Illinois, so my focus is more broad. Did you know that nearly every state government in the nation is running a deficit? Most at least 20%.  (It's the fourth graphic down on the page, but I will include it here.) There are few break-even states. The rest are out on tick.


I'm so used to thinking Federal, I missed this boat. Not a good boat to miss, either.

The information came from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a non-partisan think tank on government spending.
You can write your Congressman by checking here.
You can write your Senator by checking here.
It would be worth the effort to find your Governor and your state legislators. If you're in a white or grey state, you can write and tell them good job. Everybody else has some explaining to do.

6 comments:

Mrs. Bunker said...

So is anyone else bothered about the fact that the president and the speaker of the house are from the states in the worst financial condition?

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
And Arizona is mostly Federal land of one agency or another. Scary.

From what I read, many people in Illinois are struck by it, and yet it hasn't reached national consciousness.

But I'm afraid we can't blame the whole thing on the Illinois guy or the California sidekick. Personally I would have skipped Iraq in 2002 to concentrate on Afghanistan. Iraq has cost us billions. That did make national consciousness.

I remain afraid of government auto-making, and terrified of the logic of spending from whichever side of the aisle. But the states. We have to watch the locals and the states.

A lot of state and local pols would fry up nicely, boiled in their own oil, if we only turned the heat up.

You are right,
Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T.

What a terrific post! Another thing to note: with the exception of Illinois and Kansas (!?), the worst of the troubles are concentrated on the coasts.

The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
There's definitely some regional culture involved. I found myself interested in Arkansas, Arizona, Kansas, and Maine as regional variants, with Kansas and Maine being the true shockers. Explanations, anyone?
Ann T.

Slamdunk said...

Informative post Ann T. I hear alot about these problems in the NE and California, but was not aware of some of the other states.

I agree with the discussion that finger-pointing on the causes of this can be made of both parties. As for solutions, those are going to be difficult pills for all citizens to swallow.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Yes, I agree with you. The last Dem prez was from Arkansas, and they have a balanced state budget.

But upon more reflection I think Mrs. Bunker might be worried Illinois and California will get more federal budget-busting patronage, sort of a massive bailout.

It comes down to the voters making their priorities known. Things cannot go on as they have, that's for sure. I'd like to see the states keep the police and schools in business, and cut their fancy dinners.

Unfortunately it goes exactly backwards most of the time.

Thank you,
especially for the bipartisan approach,
Ann T.