Friday, March 12, 2010

Cat Tales

Tonight we had the story of Prince BoyCat of the cheese warehouse against the hordes of mice.

Princess GirlCat had to help this noble prince win the terrible war to save the Cheddar. The mice were crafty as well as numerous. They left Prince BoyCat a red ball. He played instead of paying attention to his duties.

But it all worked out in the end.

I have this book of modern fairy tales, and one tale has a cat garden in it. I have expanded this garden. It is a carnivore's dream, and the cats love it. There are tuna-fish-can trees. Red roses made of petals of raw prime rib on stalks. The pink ones are pork cutlets and the white ones are, naturally, chicken. There is a minnow pool and a fountain with goldfish in it.

But it's not all about food. There is a catnip field. There are also tickle-vines, which droop down and then pull back if a cat grabs the vine. Grass in the sun. Shady nooks. And hmmm. I'm sure I'll think of something. Maybe grasshoppers next time.

I mean, they're cats. Their brains aren't any bigger than my hand. But they love for me to sit on the floor and say their names, the cadence of my voice, the way my hand moves like a flopping minnow or attacks a Cheddar-stealing mouse.

I have to wonder how they compute the story: here's Mama sitting on our level. She says our names nicely. She clearly has No Idea how to kill any rodent whatsoever, but hey. It's all for us.

They lay around and roll over when they hear their names.

No doubt you think I am some dotty lady with two cats. But they are so much calmer now that I have instituted the nightly story.  Before the cat tales, their tiny brains were leading them into trouble. And this big brain? Totally, utterly distracted. I am dotty like a fox.

8 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like good fun. I have not tried story time, but string and flashlight chasing was always a big hit.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Having been a dog lover for ages, I've only been a cat person for the past 15 years...and yet, I really want to get a copy of this book/story...(for MYSELF)...LOL
I know I'm lost without some four-footed companionship...must be my age thing.

The cats are getting old, as am I, but although we run about at a slower pace, we're pretty much inseparable.
They love to climb on "daddy"....(and drool)

(yummy)

:)

Next pet...a dog, I promise...LOL

the observer said...

Ann T:

I heard cat brains were about the size of lima beans--I thought that was a little stingy.

We have play time before bed, preferably before the evening can of mushy food. My young boycat and girlcat will play with just about anything, but love the feather toy the best.

My 14 y/o ladycat rarely plays. Either she has a defective play gene, or her early motherhood sucked out her playfulness. She does like strings, tho, dragged along the floor. And she has been known to chase her tail when she sits on the cat tree. She sees it dangling behind her, and tries to snag it.

My cats all know their proper names, and boycat will often chirp, chur or meow when he is called.

I don't know how I survived the years I lived without pets!

The Observer

the observer said...

...oh, yes and I am dotty with three cats...

(I've had more...)

The Observer

peedee said...

Dogs rule, cats drool. Just sayin. ;)

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
The string is a hit, the mink mouses, the skater mice, the jingling fish, the top of the milk jug, my shoelaces, the throw rugs, the . . . but the story seems to calm them down.

Dear Bob and peedee,
I am a dog person too, but living in a building with No Dogs Allowed. These are really sweet cats. I don't believe I will mention drooling to them, however. It might give them ideas.

Bob, if you hate drool, there's some breeds you're not going to be able to stand! Next time a dog for me too! Either a greyhound or another border collie--I think--

Dear The Observer,
Well, lima beans is just plain wrong. I think an artichoke heart is about the right size.

The feather thing never lasts around here, but, chasing tails is an occasional source of amusement. Both of these cats talk to me, but I agree BoyCat's got a Much better vocabulary!!

Okay, all doting dottiness aside,

THANKS for writing in!
Ann T.

BobKat said...

Ann T...

Enjoyed this post! Just goes to show us cat's need more governmental regulations... a functional cat society among humans should require them to work, work, work... undistracted by all the catnip and tickle vines! Cats live a hedonistic lifestyle, and with current laws and regulations cats have too much freedom.

JOKING - of course!!!

Thanks for an enjoyable, creative post :)

Ann T. said...

Dear BobKat,
Yeah, in the real world poor Prince Cosmo would have gotten a pink slip!

But this is fairy tale land, and those tuna fish trees just keep making more tuna!

Thanks for writing in!
Ann T.