Wednesday, April 28, 2010

101 Words: A Relic of the Hathaway ‘Cheap Period’

Dark lightning, no Still:

Soak two pounds dark Seaport coffee in ten cups of water 48 hours, stirring every twelve.

Find five clean wine bottles and corks, funnels, and coffee filters. Buy a quart of grain alcohol and a two-ounce bottle of real vanilla.

Boil two cups of sugar in ten cups of water until the water is pale yellow and a ‘feather’ of sugar floats on the boiling surface. Let cool while you strain coffee.

Mix the syrup, the coffee, the vanilla and the alcohol. Funnel into clean bottles. Drink it that weekend with friends. They will party all night.

10 comments:

KickAss Kitten said...

Wow. Now that could also make an interesting iced coffee if frozen, couldn't it?

meleah rebeccah said...

My friend Denise made this not too long ago and it is absolutely DELICIOUS!

She smuggled some out on the golf course and Oh My God we had a BLAST!

maxwelton's braes are bonny said...

"They will party all night"
Yeah, to say the least! I just passed this post on to my college age cousins, who love both. Thanks for the recipe.

Linnnn said...

2 words: whoooo hooooooo

Ann T. said...

Dear Kick Ass,
I never tried to freeze it. It's much thinner than say Kahlua and less syrupy, so it might make a great ice cube!
I used to drink it room temperature on hot Texas summer nights on the porch. . .
Let me know if it works!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Meleah,
I have to ask. Did you make par on the course, or
do you remember, or
did you care????

LOL,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Theresa,
The trick, you can pass this on too, is to not be impatient with the sugar solution.

If the sugar isn't strong enough, then you'll get a separate coffee-then-sweet-then bam!alcohol sequence of flavors.

Boiling the sugar properly unites the flavors into one set, then the vanilla smooths it out.

Your expert in rotgut, LOL,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Linnnn,
You bet whoo hoo, I remember that!

I would not be averse to making it again for a special occasion. . .

OMG,
Ann T.

Momma Fargo said...

Yummy!

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
I swear we never got in any trouble drinking it. And you know, it was yummy. Sittin' on the porch, all that.

You can come to my next Dark Lightnin' Party although, hmmm, I am not sure exactly when it would be.