Sunday, April 11, 2010

from The Moon and Sixpence

"I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place. Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they have always a nostalgia for a home they know not. They are strangers in their birthplace, and the leafy lanes they have known from childhood or the populous streets in which they have played, remain but a place of passage. They may spend their whole lives alien among their kindred and remain aloof among the only scenes they have ever known. Perhaps it is this sense of strangeness that sends men far and wide in the search for something permanent, to which they may attach themselves. Perhaps some deep-rooted atavism urges the wanderer back to lands which his ancestors left in the dim beginnings of history.

Sometimes a man hits upon a place to which he mysteriously feels that he belongs. Here is the home he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never known, as though they were familiar to him from his birth.  Here at last he finds rest."

W. Somerset Maugham

I don't have a page number for you. But loose at is it, unfettered by the surroundings of its book, this quote still might answer something for you as it does for me.

8 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Great post! I liked it and very thought provoking.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
You and I must have been sister and brother in a past life!

Maugham's quote (and your referencing it) have been a LARGE part OF my life.
(well, THIS one, anyway)
I have often said to friends and relatives that I always feel a "bit out of step" with a lot of today.
It's that "born at the wrong time" thing, I suppose.

All I know is that I'm doing the best I can with what I have, under whatever circumstances I happen to find myself.
That's got to say something.

Marvelous post.
I love it.

Thanks.

Have a great Sunday.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
There's something different than loneliness or isolation that Maugham and you are referencing. I have felt it and never found a better passage to describe it.

And you are right--all we can do is search for a home, in the meantime doing what we can.

It Does say something.

Thanks for writing in, my brother of a past life,

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
You stop by anytime! You're so dang busy I'm always knocked back to find you've come to visit.

Ann T.

Slamdunk said...

Powerful post Ann T.

I like to think that I am this way, but there is also the possibility that I am simply a dreamer who needs grounding.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
I think the dreaming has to be a part of this--the not settling, or feeling unsettled by, what is.

If it resonates, then it must be true.

Sincerely,
Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:
That's freaking awesome.

My first response was to want to write a blog post about how this applied to me, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it would sound like self centered whining. So--'tis true I haven't fit in--and next?

The Observer

Ann T. said...

No, no,
Dear The Observer,
If it comes up, you should think about doing it. If not for blog publication, just for your own use.

It is worth exploration, I think. It may lead to something great in the end, even if the trail to great things is full of the sound inglorious.

Ann T.