Friday, April 30, 2010

Louis Jordan: Is You Is, or Is you Ain't My Baby . . .

This is dedicated to the 96th Engineers (Colored) who rebuilt Port Moresby and several extemporaneous jungle/swamp airfields to save pilots and aircraft during World War II. Running out of gas over the jungle was no joke. There's no telling how important their work was to the overall effort.



I found this gem looking for the song itself. Louis Jordan singing for a film Follow the Boys (1944). This is the only Hollywood film I have seen showing black military men in World War II.

However, I do know there were films and newsreels specifically targeting black-patronized movie theatres. Many of those have been lost, but the remainder have become the object of intense historical interest and preservation work.

8 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Awesome!

Linnnn said...

For some strange reason, I used to sing that to my daughter when she was an infant...She smiles even now through her teenage perma-snit. Louis was a classic!

Bob G. said...

Ann:
This is exactly the rich heritage that NEEDS to be saved...and remembered.
All too often the great old theaters (like the ERLANGER in Philly) where live bands played have been either razed, fallen into disrepair, or have been renovated SO much, none of the original venue remains.

It's my contention that palces (and artists) such as this are something missing from society today.
It serves to remind us of times where we could find solace during wartime, regardless of race.

The original Alaskan Highway was also built (to avert any invasion in the Aleutians) by black engineers in WW2...AND in record time!!
That feat has never been duplicated...by ANYONE.
That's one helluva tribute!

(and that song still swings)

Have a great weekend.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
Just a little change from the Rap music! I am glad you enjoyed.

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Linnnn,
That is a lovely song to pick. I congratulate you. And I have no doubt it would invade a "perma-snit" (LOL).

I imagine it's good to know some basis for secret mother/daughter communication is still intact. From what I have seen, those brief moments of glory can be all that keeps you going.

Thanks for bopping by,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I did not know this about the Alaska highway, but like you, I deplore the loss of old historical buildings.

In Dallas, they were tearing them up as fast as they could to put up another glass box with a wedge, or a cone, or a bulb, what have you.

That's all very well, but where to people meet? Where is social gathering?

Thanks for the new info and the chance to go off again,
LOL,
Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Social gathering has been supplanted by nine other than....(drum roll)...the Internet.

(Working on a post regarding that...soapboxes & fences included)

Have a great weekend.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Oh, yeah! And here I sit before it. I am used to having it blamed on television. . . .

Ho ho,
Ann T.