Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hey, First Responders: Something Better than STFU

It's called Police Mental Health blog, and its author calls it "Emotional Kevlar for Cops." 

Jeff Shannon is both a police officer and a certified Marital and Family Therapist in California. Here is an excerpt of one post, and it's funny plus relevant:
In response to a mass text message to all my cop buddies about the blog and what it’s about, I received multiple versions of this simple reply: “I DON’T GIVE A FUCK.” Cute. Mental health isn’t interesting to most cops. Shrinks are seen as “quacks,” unnecessary, overly-sensitive hippies who want to give hugs all day.
Those hippie-type therapists? I hate them too. I call them "mental-health creeps" and Jeff Shannon is not one of them.

Everything he has written is substantive but not hard to "get" right away: about stress, the police social network, warning signs. He gives names to phenomenon that you see every day, and naming is a powerful analytical tool.

It looks like a great resource, for oneself or to help others. Go check it out, whether you need Kevlar today for somebody or not. Then it's there when you need it, ready-to-hand.

I learned a few things that I can use too. I like it a lot.

6 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
I'm sure I can glean something from this site...thanks for the heads-up.
Never hurts to have an "extra" layer of protection against the vicissitudes of today's world, eh?

Have a great Memorial day.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I was so excited to find this site. And yeah, the extra protection Does seem to be required!

I think he's got a lot to offer. Thanks for listening.

Ann.

the observer said...

Ann T:

I think all emergency personnel could use this blog. I looked it over. I really liked the entry about "Cop Shades"--I think there are variations on cop shades for health care personnel as well.

Thanks for this

The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I liked that entry too! And thanks for confirming what I suspected for health care too--I think particularly emergency personnel.

No matter what profession, the front lines get the flack. But I think first responders of all types in emergency situations get the mud, the blood, the booze and drugs and stupidity. It has to take it out of each one, and then with what do you fill the gap?

So I hope he captures a wider readership and that it leads to better things for many.

Thanks for checking it out and coming back to comment!

Ann T.

Spark Check said...

Thanks for highlighting this site! I've never encountered a cop-slash-shrink.

Ann T. said...

Dear Spark,
Welcome! Thanks for stopping in.

Yes, I figure he'd have cred. Street cred, right.

Ann T.