Saturday, May 15, 2010

National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial: Candlelight Vigil

The weather was cool and almost felt rainy. I've uploaded ten pictures, nine below the jump. I hope they convey some of what it was like on Thursday evening.




Wreaths lined the back of the memorial. This is the one from Baltimore PD.


Another more personal one.


A good turnout, too, and I wanted to show that many officers from different agencies stood together.



Just as their memorials showed the diversity of interest, experience, and ways to lay tribute.



Both Canada and the United Kingdom sent delegations.


The Honor Guard.



A volunteer and two 'plain clothes officers'. After Lakewood and the attacks in Hemet, I did not want to identify people, so this is as much face as you get.

Candles: Held close, then raised by all to the spirit and life of the departed, in tribute and in hope.


Rest in peace officers. I can say you are not forgotten. I saw this myself.

8 comments:

Capt. Schmoe said...

It is sad that this vigil is even needed, yet it is vital that we honor those who have fallen.

Thanks for the photos.

Ann T. said...

Dear Captain,
Thanks for looking them over.

It is vital to honor them, sometimes I wonder if the world understands this. I don't think they know how much they depend upon esprit de corps, in the few areas of society where it still lives.

Just thinking out loud though,
Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
very good pictures - conveys a sense of being there (and I wish I was).
I too look to a day when vigils are supplanted by celebrations of life...

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I'm glad the pictures brought it a little closer in. Thanks for taking a look at my tiny album.

Yes, life.

Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:
Pictures well done! Thanks for sharing them.

The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
Thank you for stopping by to take a look.

Sincerely,
Ann T.

Christopher said...

Strange to think we were a few feet from each other that day, at one moment.

Ann T. said...

Dear Christopher,
It is strange. I knew you would be there. Sent a letter about a cup of coffee, but I also (knowing a little about you) figured you were busy all the way through.

It was not to be missed. I hope to be more involved with the events next year, maybe as a volunteer.

Sincerely,
Ann T.