Wednesday, May 12, 2010

National Police Week: Part One, The Sheepdog Has Fun

National Police Week is May 9th through 15th, 2010. The D.C. Events will be from the 12th through 16th.
This is a Five Part Series Celebrating Police Officers.

Today's Events
Today, the Police Unity Tour comes to D.C.--after a 330 mile trek, bicyclists in law enforcement and their supporters will converge on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. 

Today's Tiny Extra 
Here is a video of sheepdog trials in Islay, Scotland.  This one has some wind noise, but it's five minutes instead of ten or twenty.

The dog makes an "outrun" to fetch the sheep. They must go between the two gate panels. In another exercise, the sheepdog must separate the sheep into two distinct groups. In still another, he must get them all into the Pen. The sheep fight the Law, but the Law wins.

 I did notice:

1. Sheep tend to stick together, but they don't seem to understand why.

2. When they see the sheepdog coming, they invariably hesitate, wondering which way they are supposed to go. When that happens, they get in each other's way. Probably reminds you of every hot run you ever made.

3. The sheepdog spends a majority of time looking at the butt end of the sheep.

4. Despite this, the sheepdog seems pretty happy. Also relentless.

Thank you for your service, officers!
Many happy days of job satisfaction to you all!

12 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were planting a "subliminal" message for us...with this video.

Maybe we need to be SHEEPDOGS instead of "sheeple"?
Sounds like a plan to me.

:)

Momma Fargo said...

Thank you for your tribute! Great post, once again!

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Oh, yeah, let's be part of the cadre of thinkers and doers out there, instead of the fluffy butts!! LOL!!

Something tells me you are already there!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
I hope you got a grin out of it. Couple more coming, trying to balance the fun with the serious.

Have a great week! Thanks for all you do for us! And special thanks for telling us what it's like. At least some of the time.

Sincerely,
Ann T.

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh I love Police Officers. Something about that uniform and all that power just gets my goat! or sheep!

Ann T. said...

Dear Meleah,
You are so funny! I would give that goat away and look for a good Border Collie!

You crack me up,
Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:
Thanks for this video--and isn't the scenery pretty?

The Bible is riddled with shepherd imagery. One preacher I know said it's because sometimes people are like sheep--not very bright and needing guidance. This always makes me laugh a bit, but it is the painful laugh of recognition!

Looking forward to the rest...

The Observer

The Bug said...

Dr. M is a bit of a sheep fanatic (as you may have noticed from the pics on my blog) so we thoroughly enjoyed the video. I've read a couple of books about sheep dogs (Nop's Trials, for one) & I'm fascinated by them.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I don't think it's an accident that law enforcement considers itself a partner to the Shepherd. That's not exactly how they got to the metaphor, but it's definitely one reason it resonates with them, I think.

I would love to see Islay, and other corners of Scotland, then go to Edinburgh for their Festival. could happen!

Thank you!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
I love sheepdogs--really, working dogs. They are so darn smart.

I once saw a two-dog team at a Renaissance Festival. Again, the same precision and joy in the work. Just amazing.

Thanks for writing in,
Ann T.

Sandra said...

Hmm..how appropriate for you to post this video on National Police Week.

You've seen/read/heard of Lt. Col. Dave Grossman?

Ann T. said...

Dear Sandra,
Oh, yes, I've read that book twice. I was hoping you guys would get a kick out of it. . .

Best wishes to you this week,
and Thank You,
Ann T.