Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nice people

Today I wrote a card to a neighbor of mine. He is a small-business owner who helps self-employed  keep their offices organized. In the process, he has made friends with every one of them.

Every year he has a huge Epiphany party. So much food that it takes a trolley cart to bring it to the community room. Part of the gag is that you bring the worst present ever--the thing you wouldn't even "re-gift" and everyone draws a lottery.  He also has a huge Thanksgiving potluck and oh, for heaven's sake. You never ate so well in your life.

There's another lady here whose brother recently had a stroke. He's doing great. She's running from her house to his, fixing him all up: washing curtains, bugging him to cook again, (he is a chef), teaching him and laughing with him when he uses the wrong proper noun. Every day she has a huge smile. When she was young, I bet you twenty dollars she was vivacious and popular. She still is.

The president of my Board has a ready tongue and a sarcastic way about him. But he sees everything really clearly. He is also very kind to people in difficulty. He does not "go off" on people who need a gentler hand. He also has an unexpected patience much at variance to his temperament.

Mr. B. is afraid to ask for favors. But if you do something for him, he will find out what book you like to read. He probably has it in stock and it will be on your doorstep the next day.

Mr. G is a retired professor. He raises turtles and always wants to know how you are doing. Lately he has gotten a caretaker and looks much better.

All of these people have troubles: diabetes, family worries, frustrations with the way the world works, maybe even money troubles. They are all highly intelligent. It does not stop them from spreading little bits of goodness, each in their own way.

And then there's the good people I know here . . . . my electronic neighbors . . . . I feel very fortunate.

15 comments:

Momma Fargo said...

Spreading goodness is awesome!

Momma Fargo said...

Spreading goodness is super great.

Mrs. Bunker said...

Thanks Ann T. for another great post. It's nice to dwell on the good as a respite from trashing the bad from time to time. Maybe I'll try it myself sometime. Thanks for being a good neighbor.

And I have this vacuum cleaner you can take to your Epiphany party if you want...

The Bug said...

We're pretty happy with our neighbors too - notwithstanding the motorcycle riding Joneses. We don't object to the motorcycles themselves - it's the Harleys at 11:00 at night that bug us :)

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
It IS awesome. And super great! Thanks for stopping in to take a look. I am all over everybody's blog this evening.

Still behind, catching up,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
I know you're handing out the good stuff every day.

Someday peace is going to descend, all the sucking machines will go away. Epiphanies will come, and you'll get that chance to look around and be thrilled.

You'll have writer's block that day, but it won't matter. We'll all just be thrilled for you!

Glad to see you!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
Harleys at eleven, huh? Do they have glas-pak mufflers? I used to date a guy who had a pickup with the rumbling exhaust. That's a carrying sound!

Here's hoping your sleep will be undisturbed,

Ann T..

Bob G. said...

Always nice to hear good news...

And yes, everyone has issues or problems, sooner or later.

Some would say we could never be blessed by having a perfect life.
I feel we're MORE blessed BECAUSE we don't have a perfect life.
(that could be boring)

Not having a perfect life allows others, as well as us to manifest their/our goodness in ways we could never imagine.

An honest mutuality of friendship with at least one thing in common:
Less than perfect lives.

Works for me.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Yes, I think maybe what I am looking for is a "fighting serenity" or that might not be the right words, but it's a start.

not to go all woo-woo
not to give up
but still, something serene.

It's amazing to me how the comments here give so much back. Case in point, right?

Thanks for being one of my good neighbors,
Ann T.

peedee said...

psshhhhhhhhh. Issues?? I have no issues! Bwwahahahahahahhahahahahhahaa!

I really do love my electronic neighbors. Its another world that I have and it may not be physical but the emotion is just as good. There are a lot of days I like you all more than the people I actually see everyday.

<3 ya Annie!

Ann T. said...

Dear peedee,
<3 ya back!

Have a Great Weekend. Those issues can wait till Tuesday!

Annie

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh my! The Epiphany party with terrible gag gifts sounds like a REALLY great time! I think I'd like to throw a party like that one day!

Ann T. said...

Dear Meleah,
It is a fantastic party! I have always had a rocking time.

Thanks for bopping by!
Ann T.

Gia's Spot said...

Ann T
I love my electronic neighbors.. I never see that curtain go over their eyes while I am talking! (For some reason, I am the listener and when its my turn to talk, poof!! no one is home!!
Always a good neightbor,
Gia

Ann T. said...

Dear Gia,
I know just what you mean. And since I am frequently embarrassed by my troubles, it's extra difficult.

I am still struggling with how to break those barriers, and yet there do seem to be good people around.

I will say this: you are a good neighbor. They don't know what they're missing when they don't listen to you.

Ann T.