Sunday, June 6, 2010

Architectural Details

Some time ago one of my readers said he loved old architecture (yeah, Bob, You!). I have been trying for some good photos of unusual buildings, but what seems to be coming out the best is stonework details on the churches, mansions and row houses. After those years in Rivertown, I don't climb on people's porches the way I need to, if I want a good shot at a lintel or whatever.

So, details have turned out Far Better. Six photos below. The banisters of two row houses and the stonework on some local churches.

Acanthus leaf

ponderously Victorian, and worn:


Oak leaf pattern

Two from another church. First the church door (great color!) with the curling ironwork hinges. Very Gothic, yes?

Tudor rose:

Oak again:

The other day I met a woman re-visiting DC. She had lived here as a clerk-typist during World War II. A good many of the prominent buildings in my neighborhood are mid-century modern--none of them were up when she was here. It made me take a new look, wondering what she must have known before. It changed my view for an entire walk. Although the picture below is from months ago.


Disorder and frou-frou starts with the busted awning--a mid-century-looking Advance in Civilization. Then the frou-frou progressively straightens itself out. What a shame.

I hope you enjoy. A happy Sunday to all.

5 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
It never ceases to amaze me whenever I think about the DETAIL that went into such stonework (and ironwork).
I can't imagine sitting my butt down with hammer and chisel and (from some sense of memory) being able to carve out such beauty.

It's all done (if it even IS done) these days with COMPUTER designs.
Sorta takes the whole "craft" thing out of the mix, yes?

Thanks for the pictures...very nice indeed.

Have a great Sunday.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I'm glad you stopped by to enjoy!
Best of the weekend to you,
Ann

the observer said...

Ann T:
Thanks for the shots! I love that brick Victorian, surrounded by squares and right angles.

the Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
Thank you! I like it too! However, my favorite shots always seem to be the last shots--provided they turn out, of course.

ha ha
Ann T.

Momma Fargo said...

I am also fascinated with architecture and stone work. Amazing. Your pics are superb!