Wednesday, June 9, 2010

That Happy-Go Lucky Stuff

This is just a short note, because I am enmeshed in Projects. Somehow, without noticing, I have become a one-woman photography archive. I've got this digital camera and I've never printed any of them.

Well, it's really easy. Who knew modern life actually had some improvements? I am never going to print every photograph again. As it was, I printed too many. But I popped together three small albums.

I am ashamed to tell you guys that I have a complete 36-page photo album of manhole covers, cigarette butts, broken Bic pens in rain puddles, and brick-layer's patterns. The things you see by walking with your head down. Who knew?

It's my favorite. And to think it all started with a manhole cover that says D.C. Sl-ts.  I had no idea concrete had all those colors, either.

The next album goes to my therapist, our last session is Thursday. It's a little review-by-snapshot of the past six months. I hope she enjoys it. It was fun to make. I use 4 x 6 cards (white, unlined) and write the captions and slide them next to the pictures.

As this is a clinic, I will get someone new, not be able to interview them first, and wait indefinitely for this replacement to show up. This all worked the first time, so I am trying for a good attitude. I'm going to miss this lady. She's been way good for me, and was old enough to know about real life. I hope they don't get me some effervescent, wide-eyed do-gooder.  Please, dear Lord, find me a cynic.

But nothing's going to stop me now, you know.
I have to get cracking, more deadlines. See you tomorrow!!

12 comments:

The Bug said...

Boy you HAVE been busy! We have thousands of pictures on our digital camera. We've been printing a handful each week to send to Dr. M's mom in NC, but otherwise, there they sit, in digital limbo.

Good luck with the new therapist - I'll be hoping for a cynic!

Bob G. said...

Ann:
I can do cynical REAL well.
(with a side-order of sarcasm)

When I HAVE to, that is...LOL.

Manhole covers...a lost art in iron casting if ever there was one.

BTW, I would never have dreamed you need therapy...you are too much appreciative of life and all it has to offer.
And you're so darn SMART to boot!
(make me look like a neophyte)

Have fun, because you CAN.

Linnnn said...

The manhole cover. Classic! Sluts like us have got to stick together! You own it, dear Lady! I am not worthy since I am stealing your idea for photo therapy!
xoxo

Slamdunk said...

I am thinking your therapist loves the sessions. Also, the person who looks down will be the one with no dog crap or chewed gum stuck to their shoes. Not a bad trade off for not looking as confident.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
Thank you! I'll take all the hopes and prayers I can get for this one.

Sincerely,

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Your cynical sarcasm makes me laugh every time.

Unfortunately, though I knew everything that I had to do, I was unable to do it alone. I am doing great but have a ways to go.

You and my other readers are part of my road back.

So thank you for the kudos! We will try to give each other a run for the money--on the smarts department.

LOL, and muchas gracias,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Linnnn,
Actually photography has helped me a great deal. It's gotten me out and reminded me that one of my talents is 'seeing' things.

Having a camera is an excuse for assigning productivity to a walk. Some of the pictures become metaphors for recovery or realization. Others are just fun. That's not so bad either!

Anyway, I DO recommend it. Enjoy yourself! And yes, let's all stick together by all means!

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
No chewing gum! Also I avoided stepping just today on a dead rat!
Ick!

I think I've been very lucky in the woman I have. We liked each other very much--even when I was not too likeable. Of course it is not an even relationship--I don't know much if anything about her life.

We moved our last appointment up an hour. I think she has something going on after, and wanted time for us to weep and stuff. Apparently her supervisor is knocked out by my progress. She says three years' work in six months.

And that's the way I want to roll,

Thank you for the comforting words.

Sincerely,
Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:
Well, I hope you had a delightfully productive Project day.

I add my prayers to the others RE: therapist comings and goings. It's tough to establish new relationships in any setting, but in the therapeutic setting, where sometimes hard work will have to be done, it can be especially trying. My least favorite therapist type? The Wall--I always tell therapists I want responses from them!

Yes, I want to see your photos! I was visiting with a dear friend Monday, and she has been trying to find interesting art-y things in her town to photograph. She was asking me about graffiti! I love it.

Blessings to you
The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
Thank you! I don't think I've ever had a Wall, but I did have a coke addict once.

And I will post the pix tomorrow, or at least a few of them. There is an entire photo book on manhole covers, but I think I may have expanded somewhat . . .

Thank you for the blessings,
Ann T.

Mrs. Bunker said...

My mom worked as an outpatient therapist for many years and some of her clients gave her gifts of art, mostly poetry and photography; they are among her most cherished possessions.

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
She did like the album I gave her, I think. It was hard for her too.

Anyway, new adventures await us both. I hope we run into each other in a different time and place.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.
Sincerely,
Ann T.