Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Not Exactly the Cuban Missile Crisis or Anything

We interrupt previously-scheduled programming because Bed Bug Inspections will Occur on my floor today. It is not that I have to do anything for it. I'm just distracted.


Normally, our Condominium Association gives Free Extermination. This is of course a free ride for the messy people in the building. However, it also encourages reportage/complaints so that the entire building is not inundated. It's a good plan and it mostly works.

There is one older man with diminished capacity who is so used to his bugs now, he thinks everyone has them and that this is normal. Recently, his family was called and impressed with the health hazard he really was. They took a week to visit and re-did his living quarters for him. They also paid for extermination services above and beyond. It was terrible. At the same time, that was a real show of love, let me tell you., by them--and a teeth-gritting attention to duty by the cleaning help and exterminators.

The last time this happened, another older man--with no family. In that case, he also had Alzheimer's. A court-appointed ward took over for the same result. It was also awful, beyond words terrible.  But he started showing up with a smile and a clean purple or green shirt and pressed trousers. They did a good job for him. Decency.

For this crisis, the Condo Board agreed to pay a slightly higher cost for inspections in order to give individuals somewhat of a break. Most of those who have them are going to have to ditch a lot of furniture, pay to have it wrapped and taken away, and have other high unexpected costs. We are, however, not so large-hearted as to pay for their in-unit treatment. And we will enforce it. We will even pay it and send those poor residents to collections. You can't even avoid the inspection--if we can't get in, we're drilling locks, replacing them, and billing for that. We've got the Hatchet, you know. I've got the ledgers. But my main worry is tomorrow.

I am restraining two cats from depredations on Bug-Sniffing Beagles who are invading their territory. I understand the invasion of the Beagles will be short. However, it is the longer-term invasion that concerns me.

I don't have bed bugs! But I also don't have a Beagle Nose.
Tonight, I may well write on economic indicators of failing neighborhoods. However, if the Beagle smells Bugs, I can assure you I will be tottering down to a local dive to drink a lot of Kickapoo Joy Water. 


List of dog breedsImage via Wikipedia

I have been told by other, normally-sensible residents, that my anxiety is perfectly normal. Ah, fate! I am in your hands.  In the meantime, some thing are going right lately with Zombie Ambition and the Condo Board. We are On Top of Things.

Cartoons are from Al Capp's Lil Abner, so is Kickapoo Joy Juice.

UPDATE, 12:45 P.M.: I AM OFFICIALLY BED BUG FREE!!!!!
Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

Yellow said...

Um EWW. Bed bugs freak me out. The guy who sprays our house says that its so very hard to kill em. But I think its really cool you guys are at least looking for them, if they are found its nice to let the people know they need to take care of it ASAP. Hope that the day goes well, no bugs for you or anyone.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
We're seeing a darn-near "epidemnic" of bed bugs these days...and I always said it due to transience in cities.

On person has them, then visits another in an apartment complex, and that bug lays some eggs, and so the story goes...

it would not surprise me to see a huge increase especially in low-income housing, as many partakers of the governemnet give-aways do NOT have the same propensity for cleanliness that our parents or their parents once had.

Too many lack the common sense needed to take precautions and preventive measures.

Glad to see your place is being more proactive in eradication.
Others wait until their shoulder deep in those pests.

Not a good thing.

Wow...zombies AND bedbugs.

If ONLY we could sic one upon the other...bwahahahaha.
Problems solved!

Have a great (bug-free) day!

Ann T. said...

Dear Yellow,
Oh, I know. It is EWWWW. I think I am ready. All I have to do is cage the cats and get out of the way!

Thanks for the Eww and sympathy!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I think it might crack you up to know--we think our bed bugs came from the State Department.

There is a vector for hotels, other bed-hopping, no-tell motels and homeless shelters.

No one is saying it's about how clean you are any more. I don't know if they're just not judging, or that epidemic means everybody's in peril . . .

Fortunately they do not transmit disease. We just don't want 'em!

Thanks for writing in,
Support your local Govt Agency,
LOL,

Ann T.

The Bug said...

I want to apologize because I'm not so much concerned about the bed bugs as I am thinking the beagles will be SO CUTE doing their inspection. I'm a sucker for their cute little faces (if not their habit of baying in the middle of the night).

Hope you are bug free!

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
It was a cute female beagle. We didn't get to play, because she was working. She did stop off for some cat food though. LOL.

I was reminded of nothing so much as chimney sweeps. The dog did not look happy. They don't get any love is what I hear--kennel at night, work by day. I hope that's not true.

Plus, i wanted to give this dog a turkey dinner for giving me the clean bill of health!

LOL,
Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:
I am so happy you are bug free. And it's a documented fact--dogs love cat food.

Yes, I don't think bedbugs are necessarily connected to hygiene. You either got'em or you don't. Scary to think you could pick them up with an innocent holiday stay somewhere.

Zombies and bedbugs--what a combo!

The Observer

Carolina Linthead said...

Great news, Ann, and an awesome post! You had me at Kickapoo Joy Juice, btw. I do love beagles...my father raised them when I was a child. My first pet was a beautiful male we named Deacon, after the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, my mother's favorite college team. Now my father is kept company at home by a fat cat named Fred. He, too, is a beauty, and he and Pop get along famously. Anyway, just wanted to stop in. I've been reading your posts, but I've been too caught up in dramas at work and with my family to chime in. Take care, enjoy the, um, bug-free environment, and have some of that joy juice if you like!

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I am absolutely thrilled! Apparently there is a low number (don't have exact) and everyone who was diagnosed was unsurprised except One. We can guess who the One is but I want to confirm tomorrow.

The panic is Averted! I had visions of seventeen to one hundred fifty residents with new ledger problems!

So, it's good!

Ann T. said...

Dear C.L.,
The first dog I ever wanted was a beagle. He was hanging around my high school and interrupted a pep rally three separate times. He had a tail like a corkscrew--I think an abused dog, but sweet as anything.

I heard a little about your busy weekend. It cannot be easy. Good on you for checking up and trying to take care.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Joy Juice. I loved Lil Abner when I was a girl.

Thanks for stopping in!
As ever,
Ann T.

Slamdunk said...

Congrats on the bed big free living--nasty little boogers.

Momma Fargo said...

Bravo on being bug free. They are not our friends. Dirty things.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Oh, yeah, WHAT A RELIEF!!

No matter what anyone said, I would have felt guilty if I had them!!

I was limp after the verdict came to clean!

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
My life is full enough of stuff that has to be dealt with!!! LOL!!

One nasty Boogey Man at a Time!!

Guess we don't get that luxury, tho',

Thanks for writing in!
Ann T.