Thursday, October 7, 2010

Moths to the Flame: The Rubbernecker Follies



If you have been following my Fire Week Special, by now you have figured out that I am a rubbernecker.
I am not the kind of rubbernecker that likes to cause trouble though.
I bet you've heard that before.


Three vehicles from the local fire station are in front of Big Green Bar. I am just taking a walk, not expecting to turn a corner and run into such excitement.

I take a picture of the lights on the fire truck, even though it's pitch dark. Like a bug to a zapper, I drift closer. But I stand, out of the way. Two women are watching next to me, from across the tiny cross street. One of the paramedics is setting up a stretcher covered with clean white cotton cloth. He's not rushing, so, good. Not anything horrible.

"What happened?" I ask. The young women shrug.
"Somebody called an ambulance."
"Right," I nod. "And they went into Big Green Bar."
"Yup."
They stare at the empty stretcher, eating yogurt with Gummy Bears in it.  I am reminded of a newspaper photo I once saw of a grisly crime scene where spectators had Slurpees. So I cross the street to get farther away, and go to the grocery store. How about that? Told you: I'm the kind of rubbernecker you want.

But the excitement's still there when I get out! And here's your proof! Damn I love the lights!


Thankfully, the paramedics and firefighters have it under control. But it's an arena, for sure . . .  packed with an audience of people who just wanted to go back in and drink. Maybe they got to scream or found a conversational gambit in it. It is a pick-up bar, after all.

I am glad you professionals knew what to do. I went home, secure in the knowledge it was my best contribution.

I'm sure you wondered why I took photos of your vehicles in the pitch black night. Just another mental case out on the street with enough money for a camera. What is the world coming to?

8 comments:

Capt. Schmoe said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much Ann T. There is a little rubbernecker in all of us.

Yellow said...

T-rex is the worst kind of rubbernecker. He will stop and talk to the "guys on duty" I think that's because he is "one of em". I don't know.

He does say that if people are going to watch and such then fine, just stay back and don't come asking them questions, he's busy after all! LOL

Momma Fargo said...

Great picture and capturing the moment!

the observer said...

Ann T:

Don't know if you are taking comments but I just wanted to let you know I am really enjoying your series on the fire service!

Blessings to you
The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear Captain Schmoe,
I am glad to know I'm not over the line. I did think the gummy bears was a bit much though!

Thanks for writing in!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Yellow,
If I was T-Rex, it would drive me bats! But then, I guess if he does it himself . . . then he gets it.

LOL,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
I do like how the second picture turned out. Thanks for the boost!

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
I have missed you too! I am glad this series is good. I planned it out in August, and I enjoyed putting it together!

XOXO
Ann T.