Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Every Day could be Veteran's Day

One month after Veteran's Day, the Ann T. Hathaway blog is remembering veterans.

In September, when it was still very hot around here, my sister and I went to Arlington National Cemetery. You know there is a scandal running about mis-handled burial sites. That is a failure of trust and care, and it should be rectified.

But the interred don't know of it. All the world's untrustworthiness is over for them. We fix this so that we can know honor and respect has occurred. And I think we should make sure it is a good resting place as well as an honored one. That means they have to water and renew the grass. I know space has gotten limited, but I think they ought to add a few more trees. They should be hardwoods that stand for the backbone these men had; willows for their sorrow; and evergreens, because we want to symbolize that we flourish and renew from their sacrifice. But that's only my opinion.

The truth of sacrifice is very stark.





There is a beautiful arbor there for services. Those pictures are below the jump.






10 comments:

Carolina Linthead said...

This is profound, Ann T. There should be green, growing things, and light, and beauty. It is for us, the living, to make these things happen, to show that we remember, yes, but also to show that we understand.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for sharing your perceptions one of those places that has a profound impact on me every time that I visit. It is a shame about the scandal and the hurt that it caused.

Ann T. said...

Dear C.L.,
Thank you! I do think this duty is about our understanding and not theirs. I think they already know.

Have a wonderful day.
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Thanks for writing in. It is a place that has impact, and as far as I am concerned, everything significant needs to be done properly there.

My condolences to those who have suffered from the uncertainty of the mistakes.

Ann T.

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Having been to Arlington more than several times in my life, I can say you captured the spirit extremely well.

The pictures, as usual, are great.

I know you can spend DAYS covering the entire cemetary.
(the guided tour alone lasts quite a while)

I agree with CL - very profound.

And at the same time, we cannot, nor should not allow a few people that have mishandled burials there to detract in ANY way the overall meaning of why this place EXISTS.

Excellent post AND commments.

the observer said...

Ann T:
Senator Claire McCaskill has been a tiger in pursuing the scandals. I am proud to have her as my senator even though I think we would agree on other things about 5% of the time. I am so glad she is making sure the mismanagement is not forgotten or allowed to continue.

Thank you for sharing the pictures with those of us who at this point are wishing someday to see the sights of our nation's capital.

The Observer

Momma Fargo said...

Wow. Pics very stunning and like the fact you remember veterans more than just the honorary day. I am with you. Veterans need to be remembered all the time. Thanks for the post.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
We did not take the guided tour, although I mean to in the future. It is an amazing place. I plan to go back in the Spring and stay longer.

And you are right--we should have this sacred place, and no doubt about it. Any fight over bad procedures or even (landscaping) is second or third or fifteenth to the fact that it must always exist.

Thanks for writing in.
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
When you are ready to get over here, we can pack any camera gear you want, extra socks, and bottled water, and we'll go see it all!

I wager I would learn a ton of new things about photography from you. And I would love that.

Thanks for writing in! And thanks for the heads-up on Senator McCaskill. I will look for her in future.

Sincerely,
Ann T.
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
Thank you for writing in. I didn't post in November, and I think in a way it might be better, for exactly the reason you said.

I am always glad to see you,
Ann T.