Monday, December 27, 2010

The Set-up: 126 Words

Zombie Boss resigns. I clean his desk, the papers as scattered as his mind. He avoided conflict; he shoved those things aside. I find bills that should have been paid, shingled with post-it notes. On them, Zombie Assistant paints a problem. I find bills that belong to others, or for things we don't pay. These have no warnings.

An employee has already said Zombie Assistant hid bills from him. Then she'd call our President, worried over bills unpaid. I find a stash she moved into his office, after.

She used his failings. She shortened his tenure, and I think his life.

Maybe this seems imaginary. But I see a difference in organization and placement.

The stink of ill-will covers the desk. I won't let this go.

4 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
That's a sad picture but you painted it well when you mention the "stink of ill-will".
That's a marvelous visual.

And you should NOT let it go, until and unless you are satisfied with the outcome.

There is a personal "investment" here, both of time and labor.

Hang in there.
ANd do have a good week.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing this. Most of the world just wants these things to go away without hearing them or seeing them. And I don't like it much either.

But we are never going to be well down there until she goes.

Thank you Very Much for the encouragement. I need it!

Ann

the observer said...

Ann T:
Oh, be encouraged! This is getting hard isn't it? There is incompetence and bad psychology here both and that makes it extra hard. Someone who was conflict-avoidant (ZB) and someone who likes to create conflict (ZA)at work in a nasty codependent tango that has created a tangle. What do you want to bet that ZA wanted to emerge from this as the Hero Who Saved The Day?

Her scheming and his avoidance has created ill will. I am afraid that you will just have to wade in and tell them all what is what and it is what it is.

Don't worry about ZA's reaction--you've stolen her thunder and so she will react outsized. Her problem, not yours.

Your Board needs to be run by a pragmatic and practical agenda, not by someone's dysfunctional personal needs.

Go get them Tiger--we'll be here. Think of us as your support group.

The Observer

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
Oh, bulls-eye! When he resigned, she was just inappropriately jubilant.

Then we didn't put her in charge--and I thank Mycroft for that. But she's not done scrapping. It doesn't make her sick but it always makes me sick.

Still, I am making progress. I need to get a stouter stomach and keep wading on through.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Ann T.