Monday, December 20, 2010

Stars: The Poetry Bus

Well, The Bug has been doing this forever. And C.L.'s been doing it. And I thought, maybe every once in awhile, I will do it: it's the Poetry Bus, hosted this week by "The Weaver of Grass". The prompt this week is "stars".

Eclipse: December 21, 2010

1.
Above my city
On the night of the solstice
The moon eclipses.

On a flat rooftop
I’ll bring a full thermos
(Coffee regular)

And wrap up warmly
To see the moon’s shadow and
The stars showing cleanly.

In the dark desert
The big sky bulges with stars.
In town, hardly one

Competes with neon.
With luck, I’ll outlast the cold
With wool and coffee.

I'll watch a red moon
Pass into darkness and out,
The stars as witness.


2.
Long ago, my man
And I watched the moon eclipse
In small-town Texas.

He placed a penny
On a train track in the dark
To show off, playing.

The town was empty.
We were courting then. He took
The moon’s photo twice,

And the town’s photo
Once. Stars in skies. Stars in eyes.
The train rattled through.

The picture’s on my wall.
The flattened penny’s safely
Saved. The memory too.

3.
A copper shadow.
Light and dark. It's different
Now. I remember

Those were your last words
In a dream after death. You
Were happy. And me

I forget sometimes
I promised to keep the light.
Stars as my witness

In wool and cold air
I will see and remember
We'll talk it over.


17 comments:

Bob G. said...

Ann:
Very nicely done...

The Bug said...

This is excellent - hope & pain, but not despair. There's always light, if we'll look.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Thank you! I had no idea when I started where it would end. So I think it must be a true one.

Have a wonderful day,
Ann

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
Thank you very much. And thanks for introducing me to the Bus! I think I got a lot out of it this time around.

You inspired me.
Ann T.

Peter Goulding said...

Good Lord, woman, where have you been hiding? That's truly a remarkable poem, some fantastic images!

Carolina Linthead said...

Ann T. Great bus ticket! Thank you so much for giving us such an intimate glimpse with such beautiful turns of phrase. Glad Peter stopped by...he is a great friend to us on the bus. Hope you had a meaningful evening. We were overcast, so no stars, no Mercury, no moon/eclipse to ponder last night.

Slamdunk said...

Ann T.: You do all these so well. I enjoyed this.

Ann T. said...

Dear Mr. Goulding,
Good gracious sir! Thank you for a very fine compliment!

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear C.L.,
Thank you for your kind words and introduction to a friend! We had clear skies, it was colder than heck, but lovely!

Thanks for writing in!
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Slamdunk,
Thank you for a great compliment. I am glad you enjoyed.

Sometimes they just come and they make me feel very fortunate.

Ann T.

the observer said...

Ann T:

So sweet! Wonderful!

The Observer

who observed the lunar eclipse through broken clouds in south KCMO, but clear viewing was had as close as Lawrence, KS and St. Joseph, MO.

Momma Fargo said...

Love it! And I missed the eclipse. clouds..ugh.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Observer,
Thank you! I am glad you liked it. It's been awhile since I wrote one, but when they come, they come--about as often as an eclipse I sometimes think!

Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Momma Fargo,
I'm glad you enjoyed! Sorry you missed the eclipse. Perhaps some other heavenly phenomena will happen that will be remarkable for us soon!

Ann T.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Lovely poem,I enjoyed it. Be sure and get on the bus again sometime!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Did I say it was lovely? Well it was. !

Ann T. said...

Dear Total,
Thank you very much for the kind words! And thank you again, for setting up this venue for the world at large.

Sincerely,
Ann T.