Monday, January 24, 2011

Walking in Circles

I had an interesting visit with the shrink today. If I am walking around in shoes that are barely holding together, I am not respecting myself.  Yes, it sounds bizarre.

I was waiting to get new shoes until I had a job. The master repair job on these seven-year-old quality-make shoes only lasted six months, if that. And quality-make shoes are cheaper in the long run, but expensive up front.

I don't know how professional I will look in shoes coming un-stitched for those job interviews.

So I can't wait that long.

On the way back from the appointment, I was offered a job.
(So much for good shoes being a requirement.)

It's for the same company I left because they had an employee theft ring that I exposed, but the thieves started hiding jewelry during my shift to implicate me. I gave two weeks' notice and got the hell out.

So I think maybe I will get new shoes. And a different job than the one I was offered today.
Still, I may be walking out of that circle I've been walking. . . . .

9 comments:

sparkcheck said...

I think you ought to go out and get yourself the best pair of shoes you can afford...

There was a time in my life where I wore the soles of my shoes so much I had a hole under both feet. Whenever it rained, my feet got soaked. I continued to wear those shoes for an entire year after discovering the holes. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't go out and buy a new pair. I wasn't doing well financially at the time, but I could have used my credit cards like I was doing on everything else, including all the intangible crap.

Wow. Now I'm rambling. All I wanted to say was that you should treat yourself to a nice pair of shoes. :-)

Bob G. said...

Ann:
I could do a week's worth of posts about SHOES and how they have changed over the decades.
(and not for the better, mind you)

It's getting harder to find quality shoe REPAIR places, and so many shoes today simply CANNOT be repaired in any manner (another disposable aspect to society).

Shoes were once like an "old friend", because you could have them for YEARS, and they got more comfortable as the years wore on.

VERY good post.
Stay safe out there.

The Bug said...

Yay for new shoes! And yay for being offered a job, even if it's not the one you really want.

Ann T. said...

Dear Spark Check,
Thank you, I believe I will!

And rambling or no, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Thanks for that too,
Ann T.

Ann T. said...

Dear Bob,
Oh, I know1 The brand I swore by is not not using standard shoe lasts, and I can't swear by them any more.

I've got to keep trying, though--
Thanks for stopping in!

Amm T.

Ann T. said...

Dear The Bug,
Isn't this the dumbest story?? And you know I love shoes.

Anyway, I am still thinking about that job . . .

Ann T.

CWMartin said...

Hi!
My thoughts: if they want to hire you back, they must believe in you. On the other hand, they did hire thieves before, so...Either they have learned their lesson and turned to you as a quality employee, or they haven't and you'll be in with a new crop of thieves. I think I'd ask about any changes the HR dept has made before I accepted their offer.

As for the shoes, I'd love to have a pair of shoes survive that long. I wouldn't like the price that comes with those shoes. I've gone 2 years on garage sale sneakers, but that's just me. As I've gotten older, though, I'm more inclined to just replace the stinkin' (literally) things.

Blessings for the job search!

Momma Fargo said...

Go out and get some power shoes, Ann T.! And walk proud in them...right into a destiny you choose. You are in control of your career. Knock their socks off!

the observer said...

Ann T:
I'm with everyone else: get the best pair you can afford right now. There are times it is OK to spend money and this is one of them!

If you have a pair of less favorite shoes and your new pair, rotate them. It helps save the new gooder ones.

Enjoy!
The Observer